So, What Do You Do When It Rains on Vacation?
The easy answer.......anything you want!!
In CR it is never really cold especially along the coast so even when it rains, the weather is warm enough to be outside. Not that you'll be able to work on your tan so much but you won't be shivering even you are out in the rain, you will just get wet.
Wednesday and Thursday are quite rainy and if I'm being honest, the rest of the week (and most of next week doesn't look too promising either). Dave and I don't mind too much. I read a bit, Dave plays whatever game(s) he has on his phone, we find a break in the rain and go for a walk on the beach.
As we are walking along the beach at just about low tide and we look further up the sand and notice a lot of hermit crabs scrambling along. We think about collecting a few and having our own little hermit crab race but then decide we aren't really that bored!
We also stop to observe a sand piper and an egret searching for morsels of food.
We spend the afternoon watching a movie and then walking around to a couple of the bars nearby. We hit trivia night at the Sailing Club down the street which they are trying to pull off while the power keeps going out - a regular occurrence down here and even more so when the rains arrive. We are not confident enough to join trivia night but we do help the couple next to us so they buy us a couple of beers. We head back to the apartment and we are without power but comes back on in time for us to stream the end of the Red Sox game. I will say that the WiFi here is just as good as back home and we have streamed shows and been online with multiple devices and have had no issues yet (as long as the power is on).
Thursday is much of the same rain - it actually rains all night which makes for great sleeping - although we do catch a clear patch in the morning for our beach walk. We head out to the right and as we walk further down I notice a sign up on the top of the hill/dune - Caution Crocodiles. How did I miss this the last 2 times we walked up this way? I don't know but I wish I had missed it again because Dave has to go investigate. There are many areas along the coast where rivers actually connect and dump into the ocean. These rivers contain crocs and there have definitely been croc sightings out in the ocean. When it is low tide like this the river is secluded and the crocs mainly stay within the river area. I tell Dave to be careful because I have heard the stories of people getting attacked by crocs - maybe they are protecting babies - but he is a typical guy - "They won't bother me...". So, as we climb up the dune and approach the river area - because you can't really see anything from the beach area where we are - we catch sight of a huge croc in the water. I didn't have my camera so there was no reason for us to stay and I encourage Dave to come back towards the beach and continue our walk. But I forgot, he brought his fishing pole and he is salivating at the thought that there is something in this river area for him to catch. I plead with him to be careful, to not get too close, come on let's go, etc. but he of course doesn't listen to me. Now I am getting pissed at him because if that croc comes out and eats him, I'm not going to help, I am going to haul ass the other way!!! So Dave gets in his few casts away from where that croc is (who knows how many others were lurking in there), he doesn't get any bites and finally we can move away from that spot.
Today had a few more clearer spots throughout the day so we do go in the water for a bit and this time we are sure to be on the right side of the wave breaks and we emerge from the water with everything that we brought in!
For dinner we try this Fish Market and Restaurant that we keep passing by and we got so see a bit of a cloudy sunset which personally I think are a little more dramatic that those without a cloud in the sky. This was the view from our table in the sand.
We both ordered the fried snapper dinners and when they came out, Dave's was a huge fish that he could really only eat about half of and mine had 2 smaller fish on my plate. This picture doesn't quite show how big this fish was, not only was it big in length but it was quite fat as well!!!
Once I see our plates I think "Oh shit, we just made a classic gringo mistake". The menu at this place was a little on the pricey side and no dish was less than $20. The snapper was listed as market price and because I figured we were going to get the fish regardless, I didn't ask what the price was. Come on, it couldn't be that expensive could it - snapper is readily available here so..... But once we received our plates I thought we were going to get hammered on our bill. Dave sensed it too and he immediately was irked that this happens but I reminded him that it was our fault for not asking. So after we each ate about half of what we got, we asked for boxes and the bill and then we started to imagine what the bill was going to be. I guessed about $80 and Dave figured at least that amount so when the bill came we surprised that it was just under $50 and that our plates were only $20 each. Now don't get me wrong, $20 for a snapper dinner around here is a lot even for the amount we got but we felt a little relief knowing that the damage was not as bad as we thought it was going to be.
Full bellies we head back home for a couple of beers and a laugh at ourselves for another lesson learned - although that should have been one we already knew.
Side note: everywhere we go and order beers they are always sooooo cold, we appreciate that!
In CR it is never really cold especially along the coast so even when it rains, the weather is warm enough to be outside. Not that you'll be able to work on your tan so much but you won't be shivering even you are out in the rain, you will just get wet.
Wednesday and Thursday are quite rainy and if I'm being honest, the rest of the week (and most of next week doesn't look too promising either). Dave and I don't mind too much. I read a bit, Dave plays whatever game(s) he has on his phone, we find a break in the rain and go for a walk on the beach.
As we are walking along the beach at just about low tide and we look further up the sand and notice a lot of hermit crabs scrambling along. We think about collecting a few and having our own little hermit crab race but then decide we aren't really that bored!
We spend the afternoon watching a movie and then walking around to a couple of the bars nearby. We hit trivia night at the Sailing Club down the street which they are trying to pull off while the power keeps going out - a regular occurrence down here and even more so when the rains arrive. We are not confident enough to join trivia night but we do help the couple next to us so they buy us a couple of beers. We head back to the apartment and we are without power but comes back on in time for us to stream the end of the Red Sox game. I will say that the WiFi here is just as good as back home and we have streamed shows and been online with multiple devices and have had no issues yet (as long as the power is on).
Thursday is much of the same rain - it actually rains all night which makes for great sleeping - although we do catch a clear patch in the morning for our beach walk. We head out to the right and as we walk further down I notice a sign up on the top of the hill/dune - Caution Crocodiles. How did I miss this the last 2 times we walked up this way? I don't know but I wish I had missed it again because Dave has to go investigate. There are many areas along the coast where rivers actually connect and dump into the ocean. These rivers contain crocs and there have definitely been croc sightings out in the ocean. When it is low tide like this the river is secluded and the crocs mainly stay within the river area. I tell Dave to be careful because I have heard the stories of people getting attacked by crocs - maybe they are protecting babies - but he is a typical guy - "They won't bother me...". So, as we climb up the dune and approach the river area - because you can't really see anything from the beach area where we are - we catch sight of a huge croc in the water. I didn't have my camera so there was no reason for us to stay and I encourage Dave to come back towards the beach and continue our walk. But I forgot, he brought his fishing pole and he is salivating at the thought that there is something in this river area for him to catch. I plead with him to be careful, to not get too close, come on let's go, etc. but he of course doesn't listen to me. Now I am getting pissed at him because if that croc comes out and eats him, I'm not going to help, I am going to haul ass the other way!!! So Dave gets in his few casts away from where that croc is (who knows how many others were lurking in there), he doesn't get any bites and finally we can move away from that spot.
Today had a few more clearer spots throughout the day so we do go in the water for a bit and this time we are sure to be on the right side of the wave breaks and we emerge from the water with everything that we brought in!
For dinner we try this Fish Market and Restaurant that we keep passing by and we got so see a bit of a cloudy sunset which personally I think are a little more dramatic that those without a cloud in the sky. This was the view from our table in the sand.
We both ordered the fried snapper dinners and when they came out, Dave's was a huge fish that he could really only eat about half of and mine had 2 smaller fish on my plate. This picture doesn't quite show how big this fish was, not only was it big in length but it was quite fat as well!!!
Once I see our plates I think "Oh shit, we just made a classic gringo mistake". The menu at this place was a little on the pricey side and no dish was less than $20. The snapper was listed as market price and because I figured we were going to get the fish regardless, I didn't ask what the price was. Come on, it couldn't be that expensive could it - snapper is readily available here so..... But once we received our plates I thought we were going to get hammered on our bill. Dave sensed it too and he immediately was irked that this happens but I reminded him that it was our fault for not asking. So after we each ate about half of what we got, we asked for boxes and the bill and then we started to imagine what the bill was going to be. I guessed about $80 and Dave figured at least that amount so when the bill came we surprised that it was just under $50 and that our plates were only $20 each. Now don't get me wrong, $20 for a snapper dinner around here is a lot even for the amount we got but we felt a little relief knowing that the damage was not as bad as we thought it was going to be.
Full bellies we head back home for a couple of beers and a laugh at ourselves for another lesson learned - although that should have been one we already knew.
Side note: everywhere we go and order beers they are always sooooo cold, we appreciate that!
Comments
Post a Comment