What A Way To Get Started

Our first stay in CR takes us to Potrero. This is a nice small beach area that seems to have just enough going for it. It's not too big, it has plenty of restaurants, supermarkets and it seems to have a good mix of locals and expats.
We arrive to the condo we are renting and the property manager was inside opening the place up and he noticed that the AC in the main room was leaking. He called a service guy to come out and said he should be here in about an hour. So, we hang out and unpack waiting for him and 2 hours later he arrives. A reminder to us how life could be different here. A laid back lifestyle sounds great until you need something done and you get a sense of your true level of patience. Dave & I don't do too bad in this area but we have to remind ourselves where we are in order to get into that mindset. Otherwise we are too used to our life in the states where you can get everything you want and need and you can get it yesterday!! Learning curve for sure but one I think I want to experience so I can get a true sense of myself - not sure Dave wants to test himself so much but he can be pretty chill so...
Not much more to say about Saturday, we get our AC fixed, we head to the store for supplies (a.k.a. vacation breakfast supplies!!), get ourselves something to eat and then go home and basically pass out for the night.
On Sunday we get up and breakfast for today is pancakes! As usual I make the coffee, Dave makes breakfast and we have a great start to the day. We sit on our balcony for a while and just enjoy the view because our condo faces the beach.

Next we go for a walk on the beach. The beach here is very long and Dave brings his fishing pole to see if there's anything biting. He casts out a few times along the way but there's nothing really around this morning. Well, nothing but the cows! That's right, as we are walking on the beach we see a herd of cows come down onto the beach and they head right for us and one was a little upset that I wanted his picture.

After dodging the cows we head back to the condo and decide to go for a dip.

This beach is a dark sand beach and because of that the water isn't as clear as if it were a tan or white sand beach but it is just as warm and nice as we find out by jumping right in. The waves are mostly tame here with a few bigger ones here and there so we head out just past the break line and think we are safe but then we look and there is a big wave (huge!) that is going to break right on us and by the time we realize it there is nothing we can do but brace for the hit. Because Dave and I just chill in the water we wear our hats and sunglasses so as soon as I realize that I'm gonna get hit, I hold my glasses and my hat to my head which is a bit awkward because I can't use my hands to help straighten myself back out of the water but I manager just fine. I pop up from the wave and look for Dave and he's standing there with this big surprised smile on his face - no hat, no sunglasses and he doesn't even realize it. So I say - where's your hat and we see it floating just beside him. Then he realizes he is also missing his sunglasses - those don't seem to float and we don't see them anywhere. He's slightly bummed because they are new Shady Rays and he really likes them - luckily this company has a free replacement program for lost or broken glasses so we should be able to get them replaced but that of course will not help him for the rest of this trip (it is only day one!). We laugh it off though because what are you gonna do? We get pummeled by one more big wave but then it's a bit calmer again and we head in for a bit of sun bathing (in the shade...LOL).
A bit later we head back in the water and again go past the break point but once again, and again too late, we notice another huge wave that is going to break right on us so we brace ourselves, get pummeled and then move out just a little further and we are good for the rest of our time in the water.
Sitting back up on the beach, Dave notices he is also missing his watch!!!! It is the kind that has a velcro strap that loops around and I would not have thought it would have come off even with a heavy wave but it is not on his wrist so..... Again, we just laugh it off because at least he still has his bathing suit on!
We hang out at the condo for the afternoon and then we go to Coco Loco for dinner. Dave gets a nice fried snapper and I get the Loco Coco which is mussels, shrimp, octopus and fish mixed with coconut rice served in a coconut....both were really yummy!!!
We head back home and witness a nice sunset even with a little cloud cover.

Nice way to end a great first day - regardless of our battle with the waves!!

Comments