Wait....Could It Really Be?
Is that the sun, shining brightly, first thing in the morning?
Holy crap, it is - this is the first morning that the sun is actually shining to start the day. Dave and I are looking out our balcony in total disbelief. We are almost contemplating heading to the beach right away because we are afraid it might not last...lol. So, I check out the forecast and it looks like it's going to be a pretty good day so we're not going to jump the gun. Besides, I'm not going to pass up Dave making my vacation breakfast which he has done every day but one so far. I'm going to miss that when we get back home. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ As we are eating it starts to rain again but it a quick shower with the sun still out so no cause for concern.
Once adequately nourished and caffeinated we head out to Playa Hermosa again and out in the parking lot we spot a couple of lizards. One is a beautiful bright green color and the other is quite large.
The day proved to be the nicest in this area yet and we definitely took advantage by hanging at the beach and taking plenty of dips in the ocean trying to stay away from getting blasted by the waves.
Per usual for us we end up at the nearest beach bar with a couple of cold beers and some snacks and the great view of the beach on a great day....until the rain came that is. It doesn't come till about 2:00 and it's not that heavy but we head but to the house.
A bit of a side story here - there are many ways for locals to earn a bit of money in CR and one of them is what people call "the watchy men". These are guys that help you park your car (by showing you where to park it) and act like they will watch it for you. They wear a yellow or orange vest to try to make themselves look legal. Usually they will show you where to park and if you come back and your vehicle is still in tact you give them a small amount of money, usually some change but not enough to be of any concern for us. It helps them out a bit and the amount that you give them is totally discretionary so it's not a big deal. The parking is all in free parking areas or right on the streets so it's not like you are paying to park in their parking lot. I suppose if you lived here and they tried to do that to you all the time it could add up. Today when we got to Playa Hermosa, there was one of these watchy men here who showed us where to park - right behind the last car there, thanks - and proceeded to tell us that it costs 2 mil for him to watch our car. I tell him we will pay him when we leave because I don't have any change right now. So, 2 mil is 2,000 colones which at the current exchange is just under $3.50. As Dave and I are walking to the beach we discuss the nerve of the guy to "tell" us how much we are going to pay him and again it's not the amount as much as the fact that he saw a couple of gringos and decided to try to take advantage of us. Well, as karma would have it, when we decide to leave, our watchy man is no where to be seen. His chair is there with his official vest in it but he's no where to be seen so Dave and I hop in the car and head on out with our car and our wallet in tact!
Thursday night we head out to the The Lookout restaurant which, as you would expect from its name, a great view of the town of Playa del Coco.
The food is OK although Dave was not totally excited about his fish tacos but I had the Octopus Bowl which was really good.
It is slightly pricey but I assume they are charging you for the view.
Not a bad way to end a really good day.
Holy crap, it is - this is the first morning that the sun is actually shining to start the day. Dave and I are looking out our balcony in total disbelief. We are almost contemplating heading to the beach right away because we are afraid it might not last...lol. So, I check out the forecast and it looks like it's going to be a pretty good day so we're not going to jump the gun. Besides, I'm not going to pass up Dave making my vacation breakfast which he has done every day but one so far. I'm going to miss that when we get back home. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ As we are eating it starts to rain again but it a quick shower with the sun still out so no cause for concern.
Once adequately nourished and caffeinated we head out to Playa Hermosa again and out in the parking lot we spot a couple of lizards. One is a beautiful bright green color and the other is quite large.
The day proved to be the nicest in this area yet and we definitely took advantage by hanging at the beach and taking plenty of dips in the ocean trying to stay away from getting blasted by the waves.
Per usual for us we end up at the nearest beach bar with a couple of cold beers and some snacks and the great view of the beach on a great day....until the rain came that is. It doesn't come till about 2:00 and it's not that heavy but we head but to the house.
A bit of a side story here - there are many ways for locals to earn a bit of money in CR and one of them is what people call "the watchy men". These are guys that help you park your car (by showing you where to park it) and act like they will watch it for you. They wear a yellow or orange vest to try to make themselves look legal. Usually they will show you where to park and if you come back and your vehicle is still in tact you give them a small amount of money, usually some change but not enough to be of any concern for us. It helps them out a bit and the amount that you give them is totally discretionary so it's not a big deal. The parking is all in free parking areas or right on the streets so it's not like you are paying to park in their parking lot. I suppose if you lived here and they tried to do that to you all the time it could add up. Today when we got to Playa Hermosa, there was one of these watchy men here who showed us where to park - right behind the last car there, thanks - and proceeded to tell us that it costs 2 mil for him to watch our car. I tell him we will pay him when we leave because I don't have any change right now. So, 2 mil is 2,000 colones which at the current exchange is just under $3.50. As Dave and I are walking to the beach we discuss the nerve of the guy to "tell" us how much we are going to pay him and again it's not the amount as much as the fact that he saw a couple of gringos and decided to try to take advantage of us. Well, as karma would have it, when we decide to leave, our watchy man is no where to be seen. His chair is there with his official vest in it but he's no where to be seen so Dave and I hop in the car and head on out with our car and our wallet in tact!
Thursday night we head out to the The Lookout restaurant which, as you would expect from its name, a great view of the town of Playa del Coco.
The food is OK although Dave was not totally excited about his fish tacos but I had the Octopus Bowl which was really good.
It is slightly pricey but I assume they are charging you for the view.
Not a bad way to end a really good day.
Comments
Post a Comment